Sunday 20 February 2011

I found a book....

Yesterday, my mum and I were out with James and a helicopter flew overhead. James obliged us by looking up at it as we pointed it out and signed 'helicopter'.  This is a fantastic development for him and has been really noticeable during the past few weeks as having the building work going on has meant we've done more than our average amount of walks! He's had a considerable amount of 'look at the plane/helicopter' and its paid off.  Its one of those small things that most people take for granted and parents of special needs children get really excited about. Its also a reminder of firstly, the level of development the boys are at and secondly why I started writing this blog - there are so very few resources out there relating to kids like ours,often nothing is simple enough or starting at the stages the boys need so sharing what we find and come up with ourselves is important to me. A quick internet search on autism will give you hundreds of stuff to buy, books, ABA activities, programs to follow etc. but more often than not even the most simple activities are not simple enough and we have to take it all back a few steps.  Apart from Son-Rise, I had never found a book on kids activities (and I've read lots!) that is that relevant to children like ours, until last month when I came across an old book called 'Fun and Games - Practical Leisure ideas For People With Profound Disabilities'  by Judy Denziloe. The author is very much on our wavelength in terms of making stuff yourself to suit the individual and there are loads ideas in there - I don't know what to do first!  What I like about this book is that it's about working and playing with people where they are, no big claims of cures, its 'just' about play and interaction which is where we're at - giving our kids a childhood rather than a program of therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment