It was an extremely successful activity. Both boys did really well, spreading the glue onto the dinosaurs and sprinkling on the lentils.
I cut the dinosaurs out of old cereal packets in advance.
As we did the gluing and sprinkling I added in labeling words like head, feet, body and tail.
Afterwards we had a good play with the lentils in the tray. We mostly use red lentils for sensory play, but I will be getting some more of these brown ones because Charlie really enjoyed the sound (I think!) they made in the tray.
With James the activity turned into a really great communication session because I started shaking the lentils in the tray which he thought was hilarious and so kept signing 'more please'. This is great, he really is using these signs in lots of different situations now.
There was quite a bit of clearing up to do afterwards....
....but it was worth it!